What can I do to protect our drinking water?
- Be Aware of hazardous substances you may have in your home, and dispose of them properly. Maintain your septic system if you have one.
- Have Your Water Tested if you have lead solder in your pipes. (Joints soldered with lead will be dull gray, not silver.) Test water regularly if you have a private well.
- Be Informed about your local water supply system, what it's doing, and where your water comes from.
- Support local, state and national efforts to protect drinking water.
- Use Water Wisely
- Take shorter showers.
- Install water-saving devices and appliances.
- Check for leaks, and repair them.
- Landscape with plants that don't require much water.
- Use water from a bucket when you wash your car. Save the hose for rinsing.